Sometimes the inventory that you have in your store is consigned by a 3rd party, rather than being purchased outright from a vendor. When this situation is a possibility in your store, you'll want to setup you inventory as follows:
- Create a separate Department for consignment (i.e. Bridal Gowns - Consignment)
- For each item consigned, add the Consignor's Name to the Notes area (or Description field) on the item screen. The item type will be Inventory Item and the QOH will typically be 1.
- Create a Sale transaction when you sell the merchandise to a customer.
- At the end of the day/week/month, run your Transaction Item Journal report and filter by date and by each consignment department (i.e. Bridal Gowns - Consignment) to see if any items were sold from those departments.
- If items have been sold, use the Item Search to determine which Consignor needs to be paid.